Newsom Consulting are exclusively retained to recruit a newly created role; Engineering Manager – Millennium Train for Downer Rail in Sydney, Australia.
Downer Rail is responsible for the through-life-support of Sydney Train’s Millennium passenger fleet at AMC. The Millennium passenger fleet was designed and built by Downer, entering passenger service in 2002. The fleet is currently undergoing mid-life overhaul.
Downer is seeking to significantly improve the Millennium fleet’s operational reliability, and this is a great opportunity to be a key part of the team to achieve this goal.
About the role:
Due to continuous growth, Downer Rail are looking for a dynamic and driven Engineering Manager to manage the engineering and assurance aspects of the NSW Millennium Train passenger fleet and will be the nominated contact point to internal and external customers.
This role will also see you manage and lead cross-functional design engineering teams to maintain safe, compliant and reliable Millennium passenger fleet while maximising performance and profitability, ensuring that contractual obligations relative to future demands are achieved.
You will also provide engineering leadership in evaluating technical solutions, project activities and overhaul processes including developing and maintaining engineering procedures in line with Downer’s internal assurance framework.
This role will also work closely and collaboratively with colleagues where support is required from their engineering teams to achieve desired outcomes.
Skills & experience required:
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering discipline; electrical engineering would be advantageous.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in managing and improving the performance of heavy rail passenger fleets.
- Experience managing cross-functional technical teams in design, build and / or maintenance in rail.
- Expert knowledge and understanding of rolling stock electrical and mechanical systems.
- Knowledge of relevant standards, and engineering processes, including failure-reporting, investigations, and engineering change.
- Knowledge of asset management, maintenance optimisation and reliability-centred maintenance.
- Knowledge of overhauls and mid-life upgrade of rolling stock would be advantageous.
Downer Group believes that their employees are fundamental to the culture and success of the company. Our people enjoy working for us because we offer a challenging, diverse but rewarding work environment.
Downer takes pride in being an employer of choice taking responsibility and accountability for the care and protection of peers, the business, the communities and the environment in which we operate.
- The opportunity to work within an energetic, highly skilled team.
- Work with a rolling stock industry leading, vertically integrated company with significant potential for future career development opportunities internally.
- Attractive remuneration and relocation package available; base salary up to c£130,000 available depending upon experience.
- VISA sponsorship will be provided to the successful candidate; Downer have had a lot of success with recruiting UK nationals to work in Australia previously.